|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
David Rawl House, Lexington County (201 W. Main St., Lexington)
|Facade||Right Oblique|| Right Rear
The only board-and-batten dwelling in the town of Lexington, the David Rawl House is one of nine surviving antebellum houses in town. The house, which was constructed ca. 1854, is a rectangular, one-story, frame cottage with a gable roof and a rear ell. The fašade features double pedimented cross gables supported by four wood pillars connected by a balustrade. The house, including the cross gable ends and the pillars, is sheathed in board-and-batten; the roof is covered in standing seam metal. Original fenestration on the fašade consisted of two single doors in the center flanked by six-over-six windows. The left door was converted into a window in the 1950s. The home’s construction may date from when Rawl acquired the property from Noah Hendrix ca. 1864. Rawl’s adjacent carriage, wagon, and harness business was one of the few industries operating during the county’s antebellum period. His business employed twenty-one workers. Listed in the National Register November 22, 1983.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lexington County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.