|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Simmons-Harth House, Lexington County (102 Gantt St., Lexington)
|Facade||Right Elevation||Right Rear Oblique||Rear Elevation|
The Simmons-Harth House, constructed ca. 1830, is a two-story, rectangular, later Federal style frame house with a gable roof, exterior end chimneys, and one-story shed rooms on the rear. The house is sheathed in weatherboard siding, and the roof is covered in standing seam metal. A double-tiered, pedimented portico is attached to the fašade. The portico features slender wooden columns and pilasters and a fanlight in the gable end. The area of the fašade protected by the portico is sheathed in flushboard and has a chair rail. The portico also shelters a fan-lighted central entrance on each story. Alterations include replacing the first-story columns with square wooden posts ca. 1900 and enclosure of the original central, open passageway between the shed rooms on the rear. The house is one of the town’s oldest residences and one of the few remaining buildings illustrating the early history of the town. The house was probably constructed ca. 1830 by Dr. Thomas Hayne Simmons and his wife Mary Reid Jones. In 1866, Mary J. Simmons was appointed postmistress for Lexington village. In 1868 their daughter Mary Simmons Harth was appointed postmistress and remained in that office until 1895. She operated the post office from a small wooden building on the property, which was moved in 1974 to the Lexington County Museum property. Listed in the National Register November 22, 1983.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lexington County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.