|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Ballentine-Shealy House, Lexington County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 1323, Lexington vicinity)
|Facade||Left Elevation||Right Elevation|| Right Rear
The Ballentine-Shealy House is a significant example of a second generation pioneer residence. It is a one-and-one half-story, log building sheathed in weatherboard with a gable roof of standing seam metal. It appears to have been constructed in the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century by William Ballentine. Ballentine’s granddaughter married Daniel Shealy and moved into the house sometime after 1850. From 1905 until the mid-1950s the house was the site of Shealy family reunions, sometimes attracting crowds of 2,500 people. The basically rectangular house has shed rooms on the rear and a one-story shed-roofed front porch with an enclosed room on the right. An original Suffolk latch and wrought strap hinges adorn the shed room’s board and batten door. The house has a hall-and-parlor plan and an enclosed stair. An open breezeway connects the house to the ca. 1870 kitchen, which has a fieldstone and brick chimney and a side porch. Remaining outbuildings include a dilapidated dairy, a small log barn, and a well house. Listed in the National Register November 22, 1983.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lexington County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.