South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Old Batesburg Grade School, Lexington County (306 E. Columbia Ave., Batesburg)
S1081773203201 S1081773203202 S1081773203203 S1081773203204 S1081773203205
Right Oblique Left Oblique Rear Elevation Entrance Portico Main Entrance
S1081773203206        
Window Detail

(Batesburg Elementary School) The Old Batesburg Grade School is a two-story brick Neo-Classical school building with a central tetrastyle portico and flanking pavilions. The building was built ca. 1912 as the town’s first public school. Housing grades 1-11, it succeeded and replaced two earlier schools, a Baptist school built ca. 1886 and a Methodist school built sometime thereafter. The two church schools merged in 1896 in the Baptist school building, which burned in 1911. The school is also significant architecturally as one of three Neo-Classical public school buildings built in the county in the early twentieth century. The main body of the building has five bays on the fašade, with three beneath the portico. The central portico has four colossal Tuscan columns on brick bases supporting a full entablature with a pediment. The central entrance is recessed beneath a segmental arch with cement keystone and impost blocks. The first floor windows have flat lintels, while the second floor windows have segmental heads with cement spandrels, keystones, and impost blocks. An auditorium is located at the rear of the building. Wing additions were added ca. 1945, and the original windows were replaced with jalousie windows. Listed in the National Register July 6, 1982.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Batesburg-Leesville includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.