|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Henry Franklin Hendrix House, Lexington County (Church St., Leesville)
|Facade||Main Entrance||Portico Detail||Left Elevation||Right Oblique|
| Right Rear
The Henry Franklin Hendrix House is significant as the finest Neo-Classical mansion in the Leesville community. The house is a two-story weatherboard residence under a pressed shingle metal roof, set on a brick foundation. This house was first built in 1888 by John Andrew Jeter Mitchell, father of Mrs. Henry Franklin Hendrix. In 1907 it was remodeled by Henry Franklin Hendrix as it is today. A central projecting portico, supported by four colossal Ionic columns embellishes the fašade, which is surmounted by a flat roof with a turned balustrade above a molded entablature. Small Ionic columns support the first story porch, which extends beyond the fašade and repeats the portico balustrade. The same balustrade occurs across the width of the second story uncovered porch. H.F. Hendrix was a locally prominent farmer and merchant, who founded and served as president of the Bank of Leesville. He also served as mayor of Leesville. Listed in the National Register July 6, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Batesburg-Leesville includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.