|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Church Street Historic District, Lexington County (Leesville)
500 E. Church St.
502 E. Church St.
| Ezekial Etheridge
409 E. Church St.
| Leesville United
511 E. Church St.
| James C. Bodie
525 E. Church St.
The Church Street Historic District is significant as a neighborhood that developed in accordance with the birth and initial economic development of the town of Leesville during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The oldest residence in the district, the James C. Bodie House, is a survivor of the era prior to the railroad and the incorporation of the town. The Bodie-Crawford House and the Ezekial Etheredge House are indicative of the emerging prosperity of the community, and of the adaptation of that part of Church Street to medium density residential. The six contributing buildings in the district, five houses and one Gothic Revival church, were constructed between 1865 and ca. 1909. The district retains integrity from this period, with only one building having been built after 1910. Residential architectural styles include the Italianate, Victorian and Queen Anne. Listed in the National Register July 6, 1982.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Church Street Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Batesburg-Leesville includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.