|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Rawl-Couch House, Lexington County (520 Short St., Batesburg)
|Facade||Main Entrance||Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Porch Detail|
This two story, asymmetrical frame dwelling is the area’s most distinctive Queen Anne residence. The house was originally constructed in 1893, and enlarged and remodeled in its present style in 1908 by John Jacob Rawl. The house has a one-story wraparound porch, supported by turned posts, with an elaborate arched spindle frieze and turned balusters. A three-story shingle clad turret, with a conical roof, rises at the left side of the fašade. It is balanced by a gabled pavilion on the right, with an intricately sawn bargeboard. The foundation of the house is brick; the roof is original sheet metal shingles. Two corbeled chimneys pierce the central block’s steep hip roof. The house was originally constructed as a Methodist school. Rawl enlarged and remodeled the house for his widowed daughter-in-law Mrs. Annie Rawl. The house became the Batesburg “teacherage,” a boarding house for female teachers. The design appears to be adapted from a design by George F. Barber, architect, who worked out of Knoxville, Tennessee, ca. 1888-1915. Barber provided plans and specifications, via mail, for houses across the nation. Listed in the National Register July 6, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Batesburg-Leesville includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.