South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Major Henry A. Meetze House, Lexington County (723 S. Lake Dr., Lexington)
S1081773201201 S1081773201202 S1081773201203 S1081773201204 S1081773201205
Facade Left Elevation Left Rear
Oblique
Right Rear
Oblique
Right Elevation
S1081773201206 S1081773201207 S1081773201208 S1081773201209 S1081773201210
Chimney Detail Chimney Detail Interior
Ceiling Medallion
Interior
Staircase
Outbuilding
Well House
Left Oblique
S1081773201211        
Outbuilding
Well House
Right Rear
Oblique

The Major Henry A. Meetze House is a significant example of an early local interpretation of the Italianate style which also features elements of the earlier South Carolina farmhouse type. In addition, the house is believed to be the oldest private residence with Italianate detailing in Lexington County. The house is believed to have been built by Henry Adam Meetze ca. 1855. Notable architectural features include the hipped roof with bracketed eaves, one and two-story porticoes with cast iron decoration, bay windows, curving cantilevered stair, and the ceiling plasterwork in the first floor right and left rooms. Basically symmetrical in form, the house consists of a two-story rectangular main block with both single story end wings attached to the side facades and a right rear ell. The clapboard structure with medium hipped roof is set on low brick piers which have been enclosed to create a solid foundation and then stuccoed. Brickwork on chimneys is stretcher bond. The main features of the front fašade are the two story portico center on the main rectangular block and flanked by two bays at right and left. The rear fašade features a kitchen ell, recently created by the enclosure of a covered breezeway which formerly connected the original detached kitchen with the house. Also within the nominated acreage is the original wellhouse and several sheds of undetermined age. Henry Meetze (1820-1904) was a prominent attorney, businessman and civic leader in the Lexington area. He played a significant role both in local politics in Lexington County and in state government. Listed in the National Register July 13, 1979.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.