|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
New Brookland Historic District, Lexington County (West Columbia)
| Edward W.
410 Meeting St.
|300-306 Meeting St.|| Thompson
200 State St.
430 Center St.
| Brookland Jail
426 Center St.
|Overseer's House|| Single Family
| Double Family
| 20th Century
The New Brookland Historic District is the historical nucleus of the City of West Columbia. It emerged in 1894 as a planned residential community for operatives of the Columbia Duck Mill, one of the first hydroelectrically powered textile mills in the nation. More than 150 buildings record the transformation of a rural area, with five scattered residences in 1891, into a community of more than 5,000 persons by 1907. The district is composed of approximately 20 early twentieth century commercial structures, the city’s historical business core, and the “mill village,” a 24 block residential area east of the old business district and overlooking the Congaree River. Built in successive stages in 1894, 1896, 1899, 1907 and 1916, along tree-lined streets, the village’s more than 135 houses are of one and two story frame construction. Most of the dwellings date from 1894-99 and are of three distinct types: the overseer’s house of seven rooms, with distinguishing “L” shape; the eight room duplex; and the four room single family residence. Brookland or New Brookland existed as a community in the 1880s, but its real stimulus was the opening of the Columbia Duck Mill by the Columbia Mills Company in 1894, on the Columbia side of the river, to which there was access via a bridge. The community’s older names persisted until 1938 when the town name was changed to West Columbia. Listed in the National Register October 10, 1978.
View a map showing the boundaries of the New Brookland Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.