|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
William Berly House, Lexington County (121 Berly St., Lexington)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation||Rear Elevation||Left Elevation|
The William Berly House is important for its association with the early history of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of South Carolina - a dominant force in the history of Lexington County. Located upon part of the 102 acres purchased in 1833 by the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of South Carolina and Adjacent States for the establishment of a seminary and classical academy, it was later used as a residence by the Reverend William Berly, a leading religious and educational figure in area Lutheranism during the mid-nineteenth century. The seminary and classical academy closed in 1856 when it moved to Newberry, becoming Newberry College. In 1860 the property was purchased by Reverend William Berly. It is not clear as to when the building was erected. However, it was probably in existence at the time of the Synod’s land acquisition and was believed to have been used as one of the campus buildings in the seminary’s early years. The house is a two-story clapboard structure characterized by a one-story porch supported by four square columns. The house originally featured a central open breezeway known as a “dogtrot.” The one-story wing on the left side was also connected to the main portion of the house by a dogtrot. These breezeways were enclosed around 1900. Included in the nominated acreage is an outbuilding which was originally the ice house. Listed in the National Register November 23, 1977.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.