|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Lemuel Boozer House, Lexington County (320 W. Main St., Lexington)
|Facade||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation|| Right Rear
(Boozer-Harmon House) One of the oldest structures in the town of Lexington, it is also one of the most historic. Its builder, Lemuel Boozer (1809-1870) was a lawyer who served as state representative, state senator, lieutenant governor of South Carolina, and state circuit judge. Built ca. 1828-30, the Lemuel Boozer House is a one-story clapboard structure set upon a raised basement. The house is the only nineteenth century raised cottage in Lexington. Typical features include a low-pitch gable roof which extends over the front porch, a double doorway with transom both front and rear, exterior chimneys on either end, and a tall basement of brick piers. It remains virtually unchanged since the 1840s, when a left rear ell and right wing were added. The central hall and parlor are wainscoted, while the dining room is ornamented with a chair rail. These rooms and the side bedroom retain their wide plank walls and ceilings. To the rear of the house stood a frame barn and several slave cabins which were torn down in the 1940s. Listed in the National Register April 16, 1977.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.