|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
William J. Cayce House, Lexington County (517 Holland Ave., Cayce)
|Facade||Right Elevation|| Right Rear
|Rear Elevation||Left Elevation|
The Cayce house is important to the community as one of the first residences constructed in the city and one of the last such dwellings remaining. Built in 1917 by merchant William J. Cayce, founder of the town, the house distinctly represents an individualistic design typical of the life style of the emerging prosperous merchant of the period. The house further provides an identifying and recognized landmark for the community. The community has retained little of its original historical identity since it began after the turn of the century as an outgrowth of William J. Cayce’s railroad store, first called “Cayce’s Siding,” which later was replaced by a larger general merchandise establishment offering groceries, seed, and fertilizer to local farmers. The vernacular Classical Revival, two-story house is sheathed in weatherboard and features wood Doric columns across the entire front porch. The upstairs center porch has four smaller columns with a pediment. The door and window surrounds are plain, rectangular, flat boards. Windows on both floors are two-over-two vertical lights. Listed in the National Register April 15, 1975.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.