|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Congarees Site, Lexington County (Address Restricted)
|Woodlands|| View of Site
The Congarees is an exceptionally important and interesting historic site, which, because of its central geographic location and the fact that it was the crossroads of the South Carolina colony for a long period of time, occupied no small place in the early development of South Carolina. Significant both economically and strategically, “the Congarees” figured in legislative actions as early as 1691, serving as a trading area and settlement, frontier outpost, military staging point, early township, crossroads of the great trade paths of the Catawba and Cherokee nations, and a center of back country development. The site consists of field and forest areas, through the center of which flows the Congaree Creek. In some areas the creek is bounded by high wooded bluffs, in others by overgrown swamp lands. A number of abandoned early twentieth century dwellings are scattered over the site. A significant back country fort of 1718, Fort Congaree, was located at the bend of Congaree Creek. Its exact location within the site has not yet been determined archeologically. Listed in the National Register December 31, 1974.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.