|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Ernest L. Hazelius House, Lexington County (Fox St., Lexington)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation|| Right Rear
|Left Elevation|| Left Rear
The Ernest L. Hazelius House (ca. 1830) is an example of the modest dwelling built by the German-Swiss settlers of Lexington County in the first half of the nineteenth century. It is a derivation of the hall-and-parlor house prevalent in the 1820s and 1830s from Pamlico Sound in North Carolina through eastern Georgia. Seemingly ordinary in appearance, the native heart pine built house does reflect knowledge of the simpler Greek revival motifs, particularly in the paneled mantels, the use of capitaled columns, and the horizontal emphasis. The rectangular floor plan is divided into four rooms across the front of the house with a central hall and four small bedrooms across the rear. The wide-boarded interior floor is original. The one-story house was occupied from 1834 until 1853 by Ernest L. Hazelius, a clergyman of the Lutheran Church, academician, philosopher, author, and educator. His years as professor of theology in South Carolina’s most predominantly Lutheran section exerted a strong influence upon the Lutheran Church in the United States. Originally located at 225 Columbia Ave., the house was moved to its present location to avoid destruction. Listed in the National Register May 11, 1973.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.