|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Fox House, Lexington County (232 Fox St., Lexington)
|Facade||Right Oblique|| Left Rear
| Front Porch
The Fox House was built for and housed the newly founded Southern Lutheran Seminary, the second oldest organized Lutheran theological school in the United States. The Lutheran Seminary started in 1830 when five young men journeyed to the home of Colonel John Eigleberger near Pomaria for instruction in theology from the Rev. John G. Schwartz. This being unsatisfactory to the Synod, a search was begun for a new site. This house was erected as a faculty dormitory with some classroom space. In 1855 the seminary was moved to Newberry. In 1858, the house was purchased by John Fox of Lexington, county sheriff, clerk of court, and state senator. The Fox House is a two-story frame building with an 11-foot porch across the front fašade. Two dependencies, a kitchen and a housekeepers quarters, are attached to the rear by open breezeways. Three doors open on to the front porch and one to each breezeway. The house has two chimneys, each with four fireplaces. Seven of the eight mantels are original. Each of the two dependencies has its own end chimney. All doors and windows are original. The windows are six-over-nine throughout. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1970.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.