South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Bishopville High School, Lee County (600 N. Main St., Bishopville)
S1081773101501 S1081773101502 S1081773101503 S1081773101504 S1081773101505
Facade Right Oblique Left Oblique Facade
Left Entrance
Facade
Right Entrance
S1081773101506 S1081773101507 S1081773101508 S1081773101509 S1081773101510
Facade
Pilaster Detail
Rear Elevation Right Rear Oblique Chimney Detail 1936 Plaque
Outside Main Door
S1081773101511 S1081773101512      
1956 Plaque
Inside Main Door
Interior
Classroom

Bishopville High School, built in 1936, is an excellent example of the type of school architecture that flourished as a direct result of the educational reform campaign in South Carolina in the first quarter of the twentieth century. Additionally, it is a noteworthy example of the work of well-respected Bennettsville, South Carolina architect Henry Dudley Harrall. It is also significant as an excellent example of an educational building in the Colonial Revival style built during a period when emergency funds were made available and many projects of this type were completed. The original L-shaped building is a two-story masonry structure and rests on a masonry foundation. The lateral gabled roof consists of a steeply-pitched A-frame with asphalt shingles. The original building’s elongated main block consists of a highly ornate rectangular central section featuring a row of twelve monumental pilasters and two-story flanking, projecting, gabled entrance pavilions. The building’s main fašade features a beveled cast stone water table, a cast stone architrave resting atop the pilastrade, cast stone quoins, and a cast stone surrounded entry portal containing a frieze and cornice. At either end of the central block are symmetrical wings that are recessed and less ornate. The rear elevation is less decorative in detailing and fenestration when compared with the building’s fašade. Additions to the wings of the building were made in 1956, 1965, and 1986. Listed in the National Register October 1, 2004.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.