South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Mt. Zion Presbyterian Church, Lee County (S.C. Hwy. 154 (St. Charles Rd.), Bishopville vicinity)
S1081773101401 S1081773101402 S1081773101403 S1081773101404 S1081773101405
Facade Left Oblique Right Oblique Right Elevation Rear Elevation
S1081773101406 S1081773101407 S1081773101408 S1081773101409 S1081773101410
Interior
Altar
Interior
Gallery
Interior
Ceiling
Session House
Facade
Session House
Left Oblique
S1081773101411 S1081773101412 S1081773101413 S1081773101414 S1081773101415
Session House
Right Elevation
Session House
Rear Elevation
Session House
Left Elevation
Session House
Interior
Cemetery
S1081773101416 S1081773101417      
Cemetery
Grave Marker
Cemetery
Grave Marker

This Neo-Classical building, constructed in 1911, is an excellent and unusual example of an early twentieth century sanctuary in rural eastern South Carolina and one of the many designs by the architectural firm of Wilson & Sompayrac of Columbia, the most successful firm in the state during the first two decades of the century. Its principals were Charles Coker Wilson and Edwin Douglas Sompayrac. The present sanctuary is the fourth to serve this congregation. The church is a linear gable-front, temple-form, two-story brick building laid in Flemish bond with an eastern oriented fašade. Set upon a raised brick foundation surmounted by a soldier course water table, the building’s most imposing feature is its tetrastyle portico featuring a full-width masonry stair with cheek walls and monumental limestone columns and pilasters of the Ionic order. The portico’s pediment, as well as the building’s surrounding entablature, is embellished with modillions. The sanctuary contains walls and ceiling finished in smooth plaster with monumental Doric order pilasters accentuating the wall surfaces between the large Palladian windows, at each corner and to either side of the arched overflow and balconied alcove at the west end of the room. Directly to the rear of the church building is a small, one-story lateral-gabled frame building, constructed in 1851 as Mt. Zion’s Session House. The nominated acreage also contains a large cemetery containing graves of church members dating from ca. 1830 to the present. Listed in the National Register July 17, 2003.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.