|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Tall Oaks, Lee County (811 W. Church St., Bishopville)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Rear Oblique||Rear Elevation||Right Rear Oblique|
|Main Entrance||"Rain" Porch Detail|| Outbuilding
(S. McLendon House) Tall Oaks, built ca. 1847, is a good example of a two-story vernacular Greek Revival residence. The house has a hipped roof and rests on a brick foundation. On the front fašade is a two-story, gable-roofed pedimented portico with four large columns. These columns are of brick construction with a stucco finish and Doric motif capitals. At the rear of the house is a shed roof and hipped roof porch addition added ca. 1910. The interior retains its original woodwork, wainscoting, mantels, and paneling. An original brick kitchen still stands behind the main house. This kitchen has a large corbeled brick chimney, water table, and gable roof. Tall Oaks is associated with a notable Bishopville family of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The house was built by Dr. John Edward Dennis. Dennis was born in Virginia in 1802 and he moved to Bishopville in the 1820s. Dennis was both a prosperous physician and farmer and in 1847 he constructed this large frame house which he named Tall Oaks for the many surrounding large oak trees. His son, Robert Dennis continued to live in the house and practiced medicine in Bishopville until his death in 1904. Listed in the National Register January 9, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Bishopville includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.