|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Spencer, Lee County (817 N. Main St., Bishopville)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Right Rear Oblique||Main Entrance|
The Spencer House is a notable vernacular Greek Revival residence constructed ca. 1845. It was constructed by Charles Spencer, a leading Bishopville merchant of the nineteenth century. A house is shown on this site in 1821 and part of this original home may have been retained in the ca. 1845 construction. The main section of the house is a large two-story, frame structure. On the main fašade is a two-story, pedimented portico supported by four square frame pillars with Doric motif capitals. In the gable field of the pediment is an elliptical sunburst design. On the second story behind the portico is a balcony with a rectangular railing and spindles. At the rear is a one-story, gable roof ell with a large exterior brick chimney. Spencer, a native of Connecticut, moved to Bishopville in the early 1840s and along with his partner and relative, William Rogers, he operated one of Bishopville’s most prominent stores of the mid-nineteenth century. Spencer also served as Bishopville’s postmaster from 1845 to 1866. Family legend states that Spencer modeled his home after Rogers’ which was built several years earlier. The two houses are both very similar in floor plan and appearance. Listed in the National Register January 9, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Bishopville includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.