|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
William Rogers House, Lee County (531 W. Church St., Bishopville)
|Facade||Rear Elevation||Portico Detail|| Interior
The William Rogers House was built ca. 1845 in a vernacular interpretation of the Greek Revival style. The front fašade features a large two-story pedimented portico. This portico has four large square, frame columns with Doric motif capitals. In the gable field of the pediment is an elliptical blind window with sawtooth wood shingles. The three central bays of the house on the main facade have narrow flushboard siding with wider weatherboard siding on the rest of the house. The house has two exterior end brick chimneys with a stucco finish. At the rear of the building are several one-story additions made in the late nineteenth century. The interior of the house retains its original woodwork, staircase, and mantels. During the early 1840s, William Rogers, a Connecticut native, moved to Bishopville to open a store. In 1850, Rogers is listed as residing in Bishopville with his wife and seven children. Roger’s grandson was Thomas G. McLeod, who served as South Carolina’s governor from 1923 to 1927. During his childhood McLeod was a frequent visitor to this home but there is no evidence that he ever resided here. The Rogers family continued to own this house until the 1890s when it was sold to the Tatum family. Listed in the National Register January 9, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Bishopville includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.