|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
The Manor, Lee County (529 N. Main St., Bishopville)
The Manor is one of the best examples of early twentieth-century architecture built in Bishopville. Its Neo-Classical design was the work of architect J.H. Johnson of Sumter. It was begun in 1914 but was not completely finished until 1918. The house was built by Edward Tisdale who was one of Bishopville’s leading cotton merchants of the early twentieth century. Tisdale was a farmer and businessman who lived in Sumter until the early 1900s. He moved to Bishopville during its boom years to take advantage of the growing cotton industry. Tisdale amassed a sizeable fortune through the cotton industry by 1914 when he began his house on Main Street. The house is a two-story, rectangular brick building with a gable roof and two interior brick chimneys. On the main fašade is a free standing, two-story portico with six wooden Corinthian columns. Above the columns is an entablature with round medallions in the frieze and dentils. On the roof of the portico is a balustrade and decorative railing. The interior details include coffering in the ceiling, dentils, urn and garland designs and other classical motifs. At the rear of the house are two original, one-story brick, hipped roof buildings which serve as a garage and storage area for the main house. Listed in the National Register January 9, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Bishopville includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.