South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Thomas Fraser House, Lee County (U.S. Hwy. 15, Bishopville)
S1081773100601 S1081773100602
Facade Outbuilding
Kitchen

(Gregg House) Built in 1847, the Thomas Fraser House is notable example of the vernacular Greek Revival style and is associated with several notable families of Bishopville of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The two-story house has a gable roof, weatherboard siding and a brick foundation. The main fašade features a one-story porch supported by six round brick and stucco columns with prominent bases and Doric capitals. Behind these freestanding columns is a frame porch with a rectangular railing and spindles. Thomas Fraser was born in 1798 and moved with his family to Bishopville during the early 1840s. Fraser was a farmer and he constructed this house in 1847 according to family tradition and a date carved in one of the chimney bricks. Fraser died in the late 1850s and this property was sold by the family in 1867 to Reverend William Gregg. Gregg was the minister of the Bishopville Presbyterian Church from the 1860s until his retirement in 1904. At the rear of the house is the original kitchen which was remodeled ca. 1900 into a farm office. This one-story building has a porch with milled balusters and round columns. Listed in the National Register January 9, 1986.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Bishopville includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.