South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

James Carnes House, Lee County (200 S. Main St., Bishopville)
James-Carnes-House
Facade

(The Myrtles) The James Carnes House is a good example of the vernacular Greek Revival style and is associated with a prominent Bishopville family of the nineteenth century. This house is one of the oldest in Bishopville with the original main section constructed ca. 1836. This original section was built by James Carnes who was a prosperous merchant and planter. This two-story frame house has a gable roof, weatherboard siding, brick foundation and stuccoed exterior end brick chimneys. The house features a large, two-story, pedimented portico on the main (south) fašade. This portico has four larger square, frame columns with Doric motif capitals. At the rear of the house is a larger one-and-one-half story addition, which either was added ca.1900 or was an enlargement of an earlier ell section. At the roofline is a ca. 1900 gable roof dormer with paired four-over-four sash windows. Flanking this gable dormer are two ca. 1920 shed roof dormers. Around 1900 the house was made into a boarding house and the rear section was enlarged or added. The house was operated by James Carnes’s granddaughter, Miss Jeanette Corbett, as a tourist home and apartments during much of the twentieth century. Listed in the National Register January 9, 1986.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Bishopville includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.