|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Rembert Church, Lee County (S.C. Hwy. 37, Woodrow vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Rear Oblique||Main Entrance|| Interior
| Edward Rembert
(Rembert Methodist Church) One of the earliest Methodist congregations in South Carolina was located in the community around Rembert Church, with a Methodist Society meeting as early as 1785. In its early days it was frequently visited by Francis Asbury, the first Bishop of the Methodist Church of the United States. It was also important for the campmeetings that were held nearby, starting in 1802 and 1803. The cemetery here was established in 1800 and the present meeting house style church was erected ca. 1835. Structurally a plain rectangular building with clapboard siding, such design affords only the essentials needed for worship. It sits on brick piers and has a gabled, metal roof. The windows are 20/20 with two smaller windows above the main ones on the front fašade. The Rembert Church building served the rural Methodist congregation (with an 1850s enrollment of some 80 whites and 500 slaves) for over a century. This structure remains as an example of the small church so important to nearly every aspect of life in the rural south during the growth and development of South Carolina. Listed in the National Register February 25, 1975.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.