|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Wilson-Clary House, Laurens County (120 Irby Ave., Laurens)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Right Elevation||Porch Detail|
|Porch Detail||Porch Detail||Gable Detail|| Interior
(Crisp House) The Wilson-Clary House, built ca. 1892, is a vernacular Victorian residence that utilizes some elements of the Eastlake style. Exterior ornamentation on this house in more restrained than on homes typically utilizing Eastlake elements (such as Laurens’ Dr. W.C. Irby House and the Lyde Irby Darlington House). Notable exterior features include a tent roof gazebo, pedimented window surrounds, attic vents with scalloped louvers, and sawn brackets. The house was built for J.J. Wilson, Jr. and Toccoa Irby Wilson on a lot acquired from Mrs. Wilson’s brother, Dr. W.C. Irby. The two-story frame residence is sheathed in weatherboarding. Two brick corbelled chimneys pierce the cross-gable roof, which has a boxed cornice with returns and sawn brackets. A single-story wraparound porch extends across a portion of the fašade and a portion of the north elevation. A tent roof gazebo is attached at its vertex. The main entrance is centered and has double doors and a transom. The interior is distinguished by the ceiling medallions and cornice, a marble mantel, and an elaborate staircase. The house is located on a large lot in a residential neighborhood. Listed in the National Register December 11, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of the City of Laurens, ca. 1800-ca. 1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.