|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Sitgreaves House, Laurens County (428 W. Farley Ave., Laurens)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation|
Built ca. 1907, the Sitgreaves House demonstrates the transition from the Queen Anne styles to the Colonial Revival style of architecture. Many of the ornamental details of the house such as the tower, bargeboards, porch configuration and balustrade, polygonal bays, and gable ends are reminiscent of the Queen Anne style, but other features, such as the house’s overall symmetry, porch pediment and columns, interior mantels, and placement of the tower indicate the designer’s desire to incorporate elements of the more modern Colonial Revival style. The juxtaposition of the two styles is perhaps best demonstrated in this house by the tent-roof tower. The Sitgreaves House is a one-and-one-half-story, frame residence sheathed in weatherboarding. It rests on a granite pier foundation. The hipped roof is covered with metal shingles. A hip-roof porch extends across the fašade and a portion of the east elevation. The porch features three-quarter length, Doric columns on paneled, wood piers, turned balustrade, ornamental medallions, and gabled pediment with sunburst design in the tympanum. Two, single-story, gabled ells, joined by a lattice-enclosed shed porch, are located on the rear (north) elevation. The house was built as a residence for Edwin Sitgreaves, a real estate developer. Listed in the National Register November 19, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of the City of Laurens, ca. 1800-ca. 1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.