|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Allen Dial House, Laurens County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 729, Laurens vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Right Elevation|| Right Rear
|Left Elevation||Portico Detail||Original Kitchen|| Interior
(The Valley; Cedar Valley Farm) The Allen Dial House, built ca. 1855 by Allen Dial, is the best example of mid-nineteenth century Greek Revival raised cottage architecture in Laurens County. It is a vernacular interpretation of the Greek Revival style, translating the design to suit the upcountry climate, building materials, and methods. The house is built on a high stuccoed masonry foundation, which forms the basement story. The rectangular one and one-half story house is sheathed in narrow width weatherboard with flush board under the front and rear porticos. The fašade has as its central feature a pedimented portico supported by four paired and fluted pillars. The portico tympanum has a fanlight style lunette. The door surround is composed of a pilastered ornamental architrave with decorative corner blocks and features an unusual grid designed glass and molding transom and sidelights. The home has a metal-covered gable roof and has a landscaped garden. The formally landscaped boxwood garden is further refinement of the Greek Revival style. A rectangular one-story outbuilding, originally a kitchen, stands about six feet to the west of the house. Additionally, one outbuilding, a log structure reputedly contemporary with the house, stands at the southwest side of the house. Allen Dial (1811-1894) was a successful farmer, a self-taught doctor, and a leader in Chestnut Ridge Baptist Church. Listed in the National Register January 21, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.