South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Laurens Historic District, Laurens County (Laurens)
S1081773001001 S1081773001002 S1081773001003 S1081773001004 S1081773001005
Laurens County
Courthouse Square
Old Methodist
419 W. Main St.
First United
W. Main St.
Bethel A.M.E.
234 Caroline St.
St. Paul First
Baptist Church
Caroline St.
S1081773001006 S1081773001007 S1081773001008 S1081773001009 S1081773001010
Laruens First
Main St.
Episcopal Church
of the Epiphany
225 W. Main St.
Mary Whitner
225 Caroline St.
Ball House
248 Caroline St.
Public Square
North Side
S1081773001011 S1081773001012 S1081773001013 S1081773001014 S1081773001015
Public Square
East Side
Public Square
South Side
Public Square
West Side
Rosenblum's and
Maxwell Bros.
and Kinard Store
103-105 N. Public Sq.
Brown Franklin
125 Franklin St.
S1081773001016 S1081773001017 S1081773001018 S1081773001019 S1081773001020
Provident Finance Co.
and Parker Furniture
107-109 W. Public Sq.
Men's Shop
102 S. Public Sq.
Old Law Range
S. Harper St.
Wells-Clardy House
409 W. Main St.
McDonald House
517 W. Main St.
S1081773001021 S1081773001022 S1081773001023 S1081773001024 S1081773001025
Augustus Huff
520 W. Main St.
Flemming House
529 W. Main St.
Todd House
530 W. Main St.
James Dunklin
544 W. Main St.
McAllister House
541 W. Main St.

Page 1 of 2 Next

The Laurens Historic District contains 111 contributing properties, most of which were built between 1880 and 1940. The town of Laurens is the county seat of Laurens County, located in the Piedmont region of the state. The district includes the public square with the courthouse and surrounding commercial buildings, and extends to the north and west to include significant residential sections of Laurens. The district is an unusually intact collection of buildings of nineteenth and early twentieth century vernacular architectural design mixed with simple high-style examples. Although originally lined by antebellum residences (only two of which remain intact) on multi-acre lots, West Main Street experienced two periods of major development. The first period was from ca. 1885 to ca. 1915 and the second occurred between the World Wars. The buildings in the district display a wide range of architectural styles including Greek Revival, Gothic Revival, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, Romanesque Revival, Bungalow, Craftsman, Spanish Colonial Revival, and Neo-Classical. The area is also characterized by its large trees, well-kept yards, and granite retaining walls. The town and county of Laurens are named for South Carolina Revolutionary War patriot Henry Laurens. Laurens County was one of six counties created in 1785 from a division of the old district of Ninety-Six. By 1792 Laurens was the county seat. Listed in the National Register October 10, 1980; Boundary increase November 19, 1986.

View a map showing the boundaries of the Laurens Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of the City of Laurens, ca. 1800-ca. 1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

View the complete text of the nomination form for the boundary increase of this National Register Property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.