South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

James Dunklin House, Laurens County (544 W. Main St., Laurens)
S1081773000601 S1081773000602 S1081773000603 S1081773000604 S1081773000605
Right Oblique Left Oblique Rear Elevation Interior
Mantel
Removed
1845 Wing

(Williams-Watts-Todd-Dunklin House) Constructed ca. 1812 by Washington Williams for his daughter and her husband, the Dunklin House is one of the oldest homes in Laurens. In 1843 Samuel Todd, a physician, bought the two-story frame house that is set on a raised brick basement. Reflecting the respectability and local prominence of its owners, the house is a well-built upcountry farmhouse, or I-House. The heart-pine shiplap and clapboard exterior, the wide porch, and the symmetrical arrangement of windows and door are typical of the nineteenth century vernacular style in South Carolina. Unusual exterior features include the informally spaced columns and two pipe-stem chimneys. The rear fašade has been altered. An 1845 wing was removed in 1950 and converted into a six-room apartment building located behind the main house. At this time a first-floor sun porch was added to the rear of the house. The house is located in the center of Laurens, and the settling basins of the city waterworks adjoin the 400-foot long lot at the rear. In addition to the main house, outbuildings include a renovated slave cabin, a garage apartment, and a reconstruction of a kitchen at Colonial Williamsburg. Listed in the National Register October 1, 1974.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.