|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Stewart-Sapp House, Lancaster County (Tradesville vicinity)
|No Photo Available|
The Stewart-Sapp House is significant as an intact example of a late nineteenth century rural farmhouse and for its association with the Stewart and Sapp families, two prominent families of the Stewart’s Crossroads, Sapp’s Crossroads, and Tradesville communities. The house was built ca. 1870 by James Harvey Stewart. Stewart, a farmer, served as postmaster of the O.K. Post Office from its creation in 1880 until it was discontinued in 1908. The post office was first housed in the house and later in a separate building south of the house and across S.C. Highway 28. In 1908 Stewart sold the house to D. Romulus Sapp, a farmer, and his brother Dr. William Harrison Sapp. Romulus Sapp lived here until his death and the house remained in the Sapp family until 1986. The house is a one-story, L-shaped core, cross-gabled roof, frame residence with clapboard covering on a brick pier foundation with brick infill. A one-story, hipped roof porch wraps around the west and north elevations. The porch is supported by turned posts with decorative sawn brackets and sawn trim with turned pendants. The house has several additions dating from the early twentieth century. Contributing outbuildings include a wood frame well/pump house with brick well, a plank gable-front shed, and the frame gable-front store/post office building located across the highway. Listed in the National Register February 14, 1990. The Stewart-Sapp House has since burned. Removed from the National Register March 15, 2000.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.