South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Perry-McIlwain-McDow House, Lancaster County (2297 Douglas Rd., Lancaster vicinity)
S1081772902801 S1081772902802 S1081772902803 S1081772902804 S1081772902805
Facade Right Oblique Left Oblique Left Elevation Left Rear Oblique
S1081772902806 S1081772902807 S1081772902808 S1081772902809 S1081772902810
Rear Elevation Rear Elevation
Prior to Addition
Main Entrance Portico Rail
Portico Column
S1081772902811 S1081772902812 S1081772902813 S1081772902814 S1081772902815
Portico Flush
Siding Detail
Chimney Detail Interior
Main Entrance
Central Hall
S1081772902816 S1081772902817 S1081772902818 S1081772902819 S1081772902820
Dining Room
Box Lock
Roman Numeral
on Floor Joist

The Perry-McIlwain-McDow House, constructed ca. 1840, is significant architecturally as an excellent example of an essentially intact interpretation of a Greek Revival raised cottage with a temple-front classical portico containing a recessed porch with balustrade, in a rain porch configuration. The wood frame house is one and one-half stories with a central double-leaf entrance of raised panel doors with rectangular transom and sidelights, flanked on either side by two nine-over-nine windows with original glass and louvered shutters. Excellent craftsmanship is exhibited in exterior and interior details. The walls and ceilings are made of horsehair plaster over wood lath. Heart pine construction is exhibited in the flooring, the stairway, the raised panel doors, window and door surrounds, and in one original mantel in the house. Hand-hewn logs were used as floor joists, and were flattened on one side to accommodate nailing of the flooring. The original interior stair treads reveal that they were constructed from century old trees. Exposed timbers bear Roman numeral markings to match timbers. Good evidence of this exists in floor joists and upper level exposed beams. Three of the four solid wood columns of the portico are original. One was replaced in the late 1970s. The chimneys and foundation piers are made of soft hand-made brick, with the chimneys having been constructed on elevated foundations of field stone. The McIlwains and the McDows were among the early groups of Scots-Irish immigrants who came to the area in the mid 1700s, and, as many other early settlers, received royal land grants. McDow family members believe the home, which they always referred to as Fairview Farm, was built between 1830 and 1840 by Andrew McIlwain’s daughter Mary A. Perry. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places September 8, 2011.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.