|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Matson Street Historic District, Lancaster County (Kershaw)
|314 N. Matson St.|| Roy L. Blackmon House
311 N. Matson St.
|308 N. Matson St.||307 N. Matson St.||305 N. Matson St.|
|301 N. Matson St.||202 W. Church St.||215 N. Matson St.||213 N. Matson St.||201 N. Matson St.|
|210 W. Richland St.|| John T. Stevens House
225 W. Richland St.
|214 W. Marion St.||215 W. Marion St.||106 S. Matson St.|
|108 S. Matson St.||211 W. Sumter St.||215 W. Sumter St.||206 S. Matson St.||211 S. Matson St.|
|212 S. Matson St.||215 S. Matson St.|| First Presbyterian Church
N. Cleveland St.
The Matson Street Historic District is significant both for its association with the residential development of Kershaw from ca. 1890 to ca. 1940 and as a reflection of the diverse architectural styles and influences of that period. Representative styles include Victorian, Queen Anne, Bungalow, Craftsman, Colonial Revival, and Neo-Classical. The district contains twenty-six properties that contribute to its historic character. By 1900 the town of Kershaw was well established and the streets were laid out in a grid pattern. It was described as being “correctly, properly and conveniently laid off, with wide handsome streets, raised sidewalks and pavements and pretty young shade trees of oak and elm.” Matson Street has historically been one of the major streets in Kershaw and this district illustrates the growth and development of the town for a fifty-year period. The district is comprised mostly of residential and religious structures. Noted architect J. Carroll Johnson designed at least one building in the Matson Street Historic District – the First Presbyterian Church on North Cleveland Street. Listed in the National Register September 4, 1990.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Matson Street Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lancaster County, ca. 1745-ca. 1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.