|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Cureton House, Lancaster County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 29 near int. with S.C. Sec. Rd. 35, Lancaster vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique|| Main Entrance
| Asher Benjamin's
The Architect (1830)
Built circa 1840, the Cureton House is significant as an example of an intact rural upcountry vernacular Greek Revival residence and as evidence of the use of popular nineteenth century architectural pattern books in rural America. The house is a two-story, L-shaped, frame residence with clapboard siding, composition shingle cross-gable roof and a brick pier foundation. The house has a central hall plan and two rooms in the rear ell. Though the majority of the interior finishes are plain, the six mantels are either exact copies or adaptations of designs from Asher Benjamin’s The Architect, or Practical House Carpenter (1830). Built by either Jeremiah Cureton or his son William Jackson Cureton, the property was used primarily for cotton production, however both men also produced small amounts of wheat, Indian corn, and oats. The house remained in the hands of the Cureton family until 1918 when Henry D. Smith acquired it. The circa 1918 cotton storage shed, circa 1930 barn, and circa 1930 garage date from Smith’s ownership of the farm and are significant as intact examples of agricultural and outbuildings in Lancaster County from the period, illustrating the continuous occupation of the property over time. The cotton storage shed is also significant for its association with cotton production in Lancaster County after about 1920, when most area farmers began to diversify and ended their long reliance on cotton as their major product. Listed in the National Register September 4, 1990.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lancaster County, ca. 1745-ca. 1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.