|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Kershaw Depot, Lancaster County (Cleveland St., Kershaw)
(Southern Railway Depot) The Kershaw Depot, built in 1926, is significant both as an intact example of early twentieth-century depots built in South Carolina and for its association with the transportation of passengers and freight on the Southern Railway from about 1926-1940. It was the second or third depot built in Kershaw, which developed in the 1880s after railroad service was introduced to that section of Lancaster County. This depot replaced an earlier passenger and freight depot/cotton platform that burned in 1926. Its primary use was to handle passengers; it also handled cotton, cottonseed and cotton oil products from nearby farms and cotton oil mills, and textiles from nearby textile mills. The interior plan is basically intact with a central ticketing area flanked by white and “colored” waiting areas. Men’s and women’s lounges and restrooms are located in the south end, adjacent to the white waiting area. Storage and loading areas are located at the opposite end and have been divided but this has not permanently damaged its integrity. Details such as beaded-board paneling on the ceilings and walls, and the ticket counter, are intact. The Southern Railway sold the depot to the present owners in 1945. It has since been used as a florist and craft shop. Listed in the National Register February 16, 1990.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lancaster County, ca. 1745-ca. 1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.