South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Craig House, Lancaster County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 185, Lancaster vicinity)
S1081772902101 S1081772902102 S1081772902103 S1081772902104
Left Oblique Main Entrance Left Elevation Left Oblique
c. 1910

The Craig House is an intact example of a mid-nineteenth century rural farmhouse with early twentieth century alterations, and is typical of Lancaster County agricultural properties from the period. The residence is a two-story, originally L-shaped, frame building covered in clapboard with a brick pier foundation with concrete block infill. A central one-bay balcony on the west fašade has a gable roof with molded-boxed cornice and returns and a wide-board frieze. The porch has turned posts with decorative sawn brackets and turned balusters on the second story balcony. The house has several rear additions: a turn of the century steeply pitched, two-story, clapboard, shed-roof addition in the ell; a clapboard one-story shed addition attached to the former addition; and a circa 1945 addition on the north elevation covered with asbestos. John Johnston Craig, a farmer in the Craigville community, built the house. Craig enlisted in the Confederate States Army in 1863, served in Virginia with the 4th South Carolina Cavalry, and died in 1866 of illness he contracted while in service. His son, John Edgar Craig (1863-1960), inherited the house and family farm and extensively remodeled the house ca. 1901. As of 1990, the Craig family still owned the house. Listed in the National Register February 16, 1990.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lancaster County, ca. 1745-ca. 1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.