|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Clinton Zion A.M.E. Church, Lancaster County (Johnson St., Kershaw)
|Facade||Left Elevation|| Interior
This church was built in 1909 by Clinton African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Zion Church, which was the first separate black church established in Kershaw in the early twentieth century. It is significant both as a particularly intact example of Gothic Revival church architecture common in the period and as an example of early institutions in Kershaw’s black community. Clinton A.M.E. Zion Church was named for Isom Caleb Clinton, an ex-slave who was a prominent minister in the A.M.E. Zion Church and who was ordained as a bishop in 1892. The building is a one-story, T-shaped, frame structure covered with clapboard siding and has a brick pier foundation with concrete block infill. It has a front pent-gabled roof on the north fašade and a lower pent-gable side ell on the east elevation with an engaged bell tower with pyramidal roof projecting from the north fašade. A skirt roof divides the tower into two vertical sections. The main entry is through two paneled double doors with a peaked transom and simple decorative door surround. The sanctuary has its original lighting fixtures and beaded-board wainscoting. Painted on an interior arch molding is the phrase, “The Lord is in his holy temple: Let all the earth keep silence before him.” Listed in the National Register February 16, 1990.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lancaster County, ca. 1745-ca. 1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.