|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Lancaster Cotton Oil Company, Lancaster County (S. Main St., Lancaster)
|Office and Seed House|| Seed House and
| Seed House, Linter Room
and Cake House
| Cotton Oil
The Lancaster Cotton Oil Company complex is significant both as an intact collection of early twentieth century industrial buildings, and for its associations with the cottonseed and cotton oil industry in Lancaster County, one of the most important industries tied to cotton production in the county from 1907 to 1939. The Lancaster Cotton Oil Company was established in 1907 by John T. Stevens of Kershaw, a prominent Lancaster County businessman who later served as president of the South Carolina Cotton Seed Crushers Association. The Lancaster Cotton Oil Company office and seed house burned in 1913 and were replaced as the company continued to grow. After the post-World War I decline the Lancaster and Kershaw cotton oil mills were among South Carolina’s larger and more centrally located mills which survived into the 1930s and 1940s. The complex contains eleven contributing resources and one noncontributing resource. Included in the nomination are the following contributing properties: Seed and Hull House (1937), Cotton Seed Processing Plant (1907), Oil Storage Tanks and Shed (1907), Cotton Gin (1907), and an office (1907). Listed in the National Register February 6, 1990.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lancaster County, ca. 1745-ca. 1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.