South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Thomas Walker Huey House, Lancaster County (S.C. Hwy. 200 and S.C. Sec. Rd. 285, Lancaster vicinity)
S1081772901701 S1081772901702 S1081772901703
Facade Left Oblique Left Rear Oblique

The Thomas Walker Huey House is significant as an intact example of plain-style Greek Revival architecture in the rural South Carolina upcountry and for its association with Huey (1798-1854), a prominent nineteenth-century merchant, planter, and politician. The house was built by Huey in 1847-48 and is a simple, two-story, clapboard-sided, lateral-gable residence with a full-fašade one-story shed roof porch with simple upwardly tapered columns with a slat balustrade and flushboard underneath. In addition to producing cotton, Huey was a businessman and operated a general store, sawmill, flourmill, and gristmill. He also served Lancaster District government as a tax collector, presidential elector, and militia colonel, and as a commissioner for several railroads. Huey was also elected to the State Senate three times. Huey’s obituary in the Lancaster Ledger observed that “Col. Huey has filled various offices of honor and trust in this district…though not a brilliant man, possessed a strong mind, and exercised profound judgement; he was therefore highly respected in that body of legislators. He owned a large body of land in this district, and possessed at the time of his demise, various interest in property in the states of Alabama and Mississippi.” Listed in the National Register January 4, 1990.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lancaster County, ca. 1745-ca. 1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.