|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
William Harrison Sapp House, Lancaster County (S.C. Hwy. 522 & S.C. Sec. Rd. 51, Tradesville vicinity)
The William Harrison Sapp House is significant both as an intact example of an early twentieth century rural farmhouse and for its association with Dr. William Harrison Sapp (1866-1946), a prominent local physician and farmer. The house is a two-story frame residence with a one-story rear projection on a brick pier foundation with clapboard siding. The hipped roof is covered with patterned metal shingles and has a ridgeroll and finials. A one-story hipped-roof porch, supported by Tuscan columns, wraps around the north, west, and partially the east facades. A small one-story gable-front frame drug store/office is located slightly northeast of the house. The house is representative of larger rural Colonial Revival architecture of the period and the drug store/medical office is indicative of an early gable-front commercial type still being used into the twentieth century. Sapp, who attended Wofford College and was an 1893 graduate of the Medical College of South Carolina, practiced medicine at Tradesville for a few years before he bought the house, which was then a one-story, five room house ca. 1897. Sapp extensively remodeled the house, adding a second story and building the separate drugstore/office, ca. 1912. He served the Sapp’s Crossroads and Tradesville communities for over fifty years, and died in 1946. Listed in the National Register January 4, 1990.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lancaster County, ca. 1745-ca. 1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.