|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Wade-Beckham House, Lancaster County (S.C. Hwy. 200, Cauthen’s Crossroads vicinity)
|Right Oblique||Facade Detail||Right Rear Oblique||Site Plan||Facade-Measured Drawing|
| Rear Elevation
(Beckham House) The Wade-Beckham House is a two-story frame residence, one of the last surviving mid-19th century plantations or farmhouses in Lancaster County. This rural residence blends the Greek Revival and Neo-Classical styles. Originally one room deep, the structure was doubled in size in 1916. At that time the original end chimneys were removed and interior fireplaces were constructed between front and rear rooms on both sides of the central hall. The original porch on the front remains basically intact with its massive box columns, which project past the first floor porch as freestanding elements. The lower portion of these columns was replaced with brick piers during the 1916 renovation. The original windows and doors with transoms and sidelights are intact. A one-story kitchen wing and porch on the rear of the structure were part of the 1916 addition. The original Greek Revival period moldings and doors remain in the ca. 1840 portion of the house, as do the original plaster walls. The house’s history parallels the history of an agrarian and rural society that has faded. Owners of the house include James T. Wade, who built the home, James Rinaldo Massey, Jr., who served as a state legislator from 1884-1885, and H.J. Beckham, who built the 1916 addition that doubled the size of the house. Two outbuildings – a small wooden store and a barn – are also included in the nomination. Listed in the National Register June 17, 1988.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.