|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Lancaster Downtown Historic District, Lancaster County
| U.S. Post Office
301 S. Main St.
|226-228 S. Main St.||218 S. Main St.||Springs Block||207 S. Main St.|
| Farmers' Bank
and Trust Building
206 S. Main St.
|204 S. Main St.|| Bank of Lancaster/
202 S. Main St.
|134 S. Main St.||Gay and Catawba Sts.|
Beginning in the 1880s, a number of commercial buildings were constructed in the block of Main Street just south of the courthouse. The Lancaster Downtown Historic District is located along portions of a three-block section of South Main Street in downtown Lancaster and consists of twelve buildings constructed between ca. 1880 and ca. 1935. The district includes brick commercial buildings as well as the United States Post Office, the Springs Block, the Farmers’ Bank and Trust Company Building, and the Bank of Lancaster/Opera House. The district is significant as the most intact section of Lancaster’s early business area. Some of the properties are fine examples of commercial architecture. As early as 1799, a Lancaster County Courthouse was located on the present lot, and it is likely that commercial buildings as well as residences were located in the immediate vicinity. By the 1880s a number of commercial properties had been constructed in the block of Main Street just south of the courthouse. It was not until after 1900 that further commercial development occurred in the area of Main Street which comprises the district. Listed in the National Register August 8, 1984.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Lancaster Downtown Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.