|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Lancaster County Courthouse, Lancaster County (104 N. Main St., Lancaster)
|Facade||Main Entrace||Rear Elevation|| Interior
The Lancaster County Courthouse, of probable Robert Mills design and displaying superb craftsmanship, has been in constant use as a courthouse since its ca. 1828 completion. The contractor was Willis W. Alsobrook. This two-story handmade brick building of English bond features Flemish bond framing the windows. A Venetian window is behind the judge’s seat, and chimney placement, doors, and windows set within recessed arches are in the English Palladian manner. The entablature with cornice modillions, the portico pediment and the stucco over brick modified Tuscan columns are of the Roman Revival, or Classical Revival, tradition. Other features include the double flight of steps with arched opening below, iron handrails and banisters, and semi-circular and semi-elliptical fanlights. The first floor walls are solid brick 24 inches thick, the second floor walls are 18 inches thick. A series of double barrel brick vaults supports the second floor and forms the ceiling of the first. The floors were brick but covered with wood in 1892. A ground floor room still retains an original fireplace. The Courthouse square contains an historical marker and Confederate and World War II memorials. As a National Historic Landmark, the Lancaster County Courthouse is considered to “possess exceptional value or quality in illustrating and interpreting the heritage of the United States.” Listed in the National Register February 24, 1971; Designated a National Historic Landmark November 7, 1973.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.