South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Carter Hill, Kershaw County (off U.S. Hwy. 521, Boykin vicinity)
S1081772801601 S1081772801602 S1081772801603 S1081772801604 S1081772801605
Facade Right Oblique Rear Elevation Left Elevation InteriorCentral Hall
S1081772801606 S1081772801607 S1081772801608 S1081772801609 S1081772801610
Log Building
Frame Building
Pump House
Smoke House
S1081772801611 S1081772801612 S1081772801613    
Hen House

Carter Hill plantation complex was once part of a large tract called Mill Tract Plantation, which began to be consolidated by the Boykin family in the late eighteenth century. The Carter Hill tract and surrounding acreage was acquired by Burwell Boykin by 1819, and was added to his acreage along Swift Creek. The Boykin family did not make Carter Hill their home until 1875; prior to this the tract was managed by an overseer employed by the Boykin family. It is a prime example of the system of management of large plantations in South Carolina during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, when overseers often were given primary responsibility for smaller tracts within the larger plantation, or responsibility for an entire plantation in a different part of the state. Carter Hill is a well-preserved example of a plantation complex. The overseer’s house is extant, now incorporated into the main house built in ca. 1875. The overseer’s house built in ca. 1840, provides insight into the status of the overseer in the plantation system. It was a one room house, simply designed, but well-built and comfortable. It incorporated architectural elements fashionable when it was built—the Greek Revival influence can be seen in the cornice returns and gable-end configuration. The main house reflects the rural Victorian architectural style predominant after the Civil War. The outbuildings (including a log building, a frame building, a pump house, a smokehouse, a dovecote, a hen house, and a barn) constructed at various times during the nineteenth century, provide insight into the functions of a working plantation and the buildings necessary in running it. Listed in the National Register September 24, 1992.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.