|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Russell-Heath House, Kershaw County (S.C. Hwy. 522, Stoneboro vicinity)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation||Porch Detail|
The Russell-Heath House is significant as an example of an early twentieth century eclectic alteration (ca. 1906) of an early nineteenth century (ca. 1830) late Federal farmhouse, and for its association with Stewart W. Heath, a prominent businessman of Lancaster and Kershaw Counties. The main block of the house is a two-story, rectangular structure with a lateral gable roof and a one-story, gable-roof wing. The building has wooden clapboard siding with a brick pier foundation. The fašade has a projecting portico with four, square, freestanding, double-height, granite pillars with granite abacuses and a two-over-two-light double-hung sash window in the pedimented gable. The major exterior changes in the ca. 1906 renovation were the replacement of the porch with the present double-height portico, addition of the east terrace, removal of the southwest chimney on the main block and its replacement with two paired windows in the present dining room, and the rebuilding of exterior chimneys. Located to the west and south of the house are two, small, early twentieth-century, vertical plank sheds which are contributing resources associated with the property. Listed in the National Register February 14, 1990.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.