South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Cool Springs, Kershaw County (726 Kershaw Hwy., Camden)
S1081772801301 S1081772801302 S1081772801303 S1081772801304 S1081772801305
Facade Left Oblique Right Oblique Right Elevation Right Rear Oblique
S1081772801306 S1081772801307 S1081772801308 S1081772801309 S1081772801310
Left Elevation Interior
Central Hall
Interior
Dining Room
InteriorSecond Floor
Landing
Outbuilding
Large Stable
S1081772801311        
OUtbuilding
Small Stable

Cool Springs remains one of the finest examples of Greek Revival architecture in the midlands of South Carolina. Cool Springs is a two-story Greek Revival house elevated on a raise brick basement. The original house was constructed ca. 1832 by John Boykin, a planter and lawyer. The house, originally a summer residence, was part of a summer pineland village such as those used by antebellum South Carolina planters as retreats from their plantations during the sickly summer season. The original house was remodeled, probably by architect Reuben Hamilton, in the 1850s during the ownership of the Cureton family. His additions to the original house transformed it into a showcase of the Greek Revival style. This updating the older house made it one of the most notable mansions in the area. The ca. 1850 alterations to the house included the tiered portico and the addition of verandas, supported by 64 Doric columns. The interior was redesigned at that time as well. Alterations included moving the chimneys to the exterior walls, and a set of two-story rectangular additions to the east fašade. By 1935, a two-story kitchen addition was attached to the northeast corner of the house. Interior features include paneled wainscoting, plaster cornice molding, a curving stair, Egyptian-influenced doors and windows with battered surrounds and crossettes, and ceiling medallions. Contributing to the nominated acreage are two horse stables, a concrete piscatory, an old stone spring, a brick basin, a dam, and granite gate posts. Listed in the National Register September 28, 1989.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.