South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Kendall Mill Historic District, Kershaw County (Camden)
S1081772801001 S1081772801002 S1081772801003 S1081772801004 S1081772801005
Wateree Plant of
Kendall Mill
90 East Hampton St.
Wateree Plant of
Kendall Mill-Office
90 East Hampton St.
Kendall Lake Kendall Park Superintendent's House
1519 Park Circle
S1081772801006 S1081772801007 S1081772801008 S1081772801009 S1081772801010
Office Manager's House
1515 Park Circle
Plant Manager's House
1507 Park Circle
Type A Residence
2135 Wateree St.
Type B Residence
2000 Lakeshore Dr.
Type C Residence
1810 Pine Creek Dr.
S1081772801011 S1081772801012 S1081772801013    
Type D Residence
1760 East Haile St.
Type E Residence
1900 Kendall St.
Type F Residence
2125 Kendall St.

The Kendall Mill Historic District is centered around the Wateree Plant and associated structures that date from 1899 to 1923. The district contains eight properties of key historic or architectural significance and 113 supporting properties which illustrate the growth of the companies which utilized the plant through the years. The mill village to the south and southeast of the plant was built between 1900 and ca. 1925 and is a virtually intact reminder of the importance of the textile industry to South Carolina. The mill faces Kendall Park, a ten-acre landscaped park. On the eastern border of the park are the mill supervisors’ houses, built between 1900 and ca. 1925. The operatives house consist of one-story, one-and-one-half-story, and a few two-story frame houses which date from 1900 to 1923. The district also includes Kendall Lake, north of the mill. The Dekalb Cotton Mill was organized in 1899. The Dekalb Mill building, designed by W.B. Smith Whaley in the Romanesque Revival style, was considered a model of textile architecture. The original plant building is a four-story rectangular brick building with a back stair tower and an imposing six-story front stair tower. The west addition to the plant, which is in keeping, architecturally, with the older buildings, was constructed in 1964. Listed in the National Register March 19, 1982.

View a map showing the boundaries of the Kendall Mill Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.