South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Camden Historic District, Kershaw County (Camden)
S1081772800501 S1081772800502 S1081772800503 S1081772800504 S1081772800505
Kershaw County
613 Broad St.
U.S. Post Office
105 DeKalb St.
Camden Opera
House and Clock Tower
954 Broad St.
Richard Kirkland
Dekalb and Lyttleton Sts.
Confederate Monument
Broad and Laurens Sts.
S1081772800506 S1081772800507 S1081772800508 S1081772800509 S1081772800510
(Confederate Generals)
Lyttleton St.
and Rectory Square
Camden Powder
818 Market St.
Hampton Park Mt. Moriah
Baptist Church
801 Broad St.
Bethesda Presbyterian
502 DeKalb St.
S1081772800511 S1081772800512 S1081772800513 S1081772800514 S1081772800515
Baron De Kalb Monument
502A DeKalb St.
Trinity United
Methodist Church
704 DeKalb St.
Lyttleton St.
Methodist Church
314 Hampton St.
Lyttleton St.
Methodist Church
1206 Lyttleton St.
Grace Episcopal
1315 Lyttleton St.
S1081772800516 S1081772800517 S1081772800518 S1081772800519 S1081772800520
St. Mary's
Catholic Church
1501 Lyttleton St.
Our Lady of Perpetual
Help Roman Catholic Church
1709 Lyttleton St.
Second Presbyterian
816 Market St.
Rhame Brothers
Cotton Warehouse
524 Arthur Lane
Henry Savage, Sr.
1816 Brevard Place
S1081772800521 S1081772800522 S1081772800523 S1081772800524 S1081772800525
Gov. Fletcher House
1813 Brevard Place
Dr. Alfred Brevard
1816 Brevard Place
Price House
722 Broad St.
Dr. J. H. Thomas Office
828 Broad St.
L. R. Jennings
836-834 Broad St.

Page 1 of 4 Next

Architecturally and militarily significant, Camden was a center of activity in both the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, and its architecture reflects the two centuries of its growth. The city was named in honor of Lord Camden, British champion of colonial rights. In 1774 wide streets were laid off in a grid pattern. The town expanded northward as shown in a 1798 plat. The plat set aside six parks which formed the basis for the city’s present 178 acres of beautiful parkland. Most of the original town was destroyed by the fire of 1813. This accelerated growth northward to the Kirkwood area, north of Chesnut Street. Originally, the houses in this area were summer cottages, but by 1840 Kirkwood was a year-round residential area of handsome mansions and elaborate gardens. Many of the mansions were built around the cottages, which still survive at their core. Contributing properties are mostly residential but also include public buildings, a church, and a cemetery. Camden’s architecture is classically inspired and includes examples of Federal and Classical Revival, in addition to cottage-type, Georgian, Charleston-type with modifications, and mansion-type houses. Several of the city’s buildings were designed by noted architect Robert Mills. Listed in the National Register May 6, 1971.

View a map showing the boundaries of the Camden Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.