|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
McDowell Site, Kershaw County (Address Restricted)
|Temple Mound|| Temple Mound
(Chesnut Mounds; Taylor Mounds; Mulberry Plantation House) The McDowell Site is among the first archaeological sites to be carefully excavated and archaeologically reported in the United States. It is one of a series of sites of outstanding significance that extend through Georgia and the Carolinas. It represents a widespread late prehistoric Indian culture known by the names of Lamar, Irene, and Pee Dee, and possibly extends into protohistoric and historic times. It probably dates between AD 1400 and AD 1700. This particular site is of special significance because of its place in the history of archeology and because of its own cultural content. The site contains a large temple mound, a large village area, and at one time may have had as many as eight smaller mounds. There was also said to be a ditch and/or low earthwork encircling the entire site. The temple mound is now about 9 feet high and 110 feet in diameter. It was probably about 170 feet in diameter before the river cut into it. The surrounding village appears to include at least 15 acres at present on the south side of Big Pine Tree Creek. Listed in the National Register July 16, 1970.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.