|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Robertville Baptist Church, Jasper County (jct. of U.S. Hwy. 321 & S.C. Sec. Rd. 26, Robertville)
|Left Oblique||Right Oblique|| Interior
Known as the “Mother of Churches” in the area, Robertville Baptist Church, organized in 1781 by the Rev. Alexander Scott, served the areas early settlers, mostly Welsh and Huguenots. First called Black Swamp Baptist Church, the name was changed in 1934 to Robertville, honoring the Robert family, all lineal descendants of Pierre Robert, a Huguenot minister who emigrated to America after the revocation of the edict of Nantes. The present church building, constructed ca. 1847, was formerly Ascension Episcopal Church of Gillisonville, purchased by Robertville Baptists and moved to its present location about 1867. Remaining unaltered and designed with graceful simplicity, the little church gains its charm from an unusual but successful blending of styles: the Greek Revival with Gothic Revival details. The portico is supported by only two Doric columns (without capitals) on pedestals. The double front paneled door is crowned by a lancet arch. The Gothic detail is repeated in the gable ornament above and in the windows. All interior wood is said to be original. Listed in the National Register February 23, 1972.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.