|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Gillisonville Baptist Church, Jasper County (U.S. Hwy. 278, Gillisonville)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Left Rear Oblique|
|Right Elevation|| Interior
The church and a dwelling are the remains of the old town of Gillisonville (one-time seat of the old Beaufort District), which was burned by Sherman’s Army in 1865. The church was constituted in 1832 as the summer home of Coosawatchie Baptist Church so it might escape the insects and “fever” of the hot summer months. It was built in 1838 and named Gillisonville Baptist Church in 1885. The Greek Revival style church is sheathed in white clapboard with brick foundation piers. The portico is supported by Doric columns on pedestals, and has a gable roof. The square tower which rises from the gable ridge pole contains two sections. The first is enclosed but possesses a section which may have been open formerly. The second, which contains the bell, is open. Its roof is supported by four round columns. It was apparently constructed by local craftsmen and possesses many original features such as boxed pews, random width flooring, and a former slave balcony in the rear supported by chamfered columns. The church and cemetery is surrounded by ancient moss laden trees. The church was used as headquarters for a contingent of Union troops during the Civil War. The old communion set was etched by a Union soldier “War of 1861-2-3-4. Feb. 1865. This is done by a Yankee soldier.” Listed in the National Register May 14, 1971.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.